DOUGLAS R. MAILMAN, MD
ELECTRONIC MEDICAL RECORD/MEDICAL INFORMATICS SPECIALIST; Focus of Interest: Healthcare Information Technology (HIT)
Talented, astute, and experienced Medical Doctor with Pediatric specialty and 30 years’ experience in clinical practice, healthcare information technology, administration, business management, and consultation. Recognized as a Healthcare Information Technology expert with 25 years’ seasoned experience as a physician champion, super-user, vendor exhibitor, product consultant, trainer, product development, and clinical content development consultant to HIT companies and health care organizations. With courses in a Masters in Business Administration and with successful entrepreneurial experience in small niche business ventures. Highly skilled in clinical software technology innovation and expertise in computer use.
- Expertise in all aspects of clinical transformation to EHR; including governance direction, change management, physician adoption, operational process redesign and standardization, workflow reengineering, order set design/build, physician and clinical staff end-user training curriculum and delivery, go-live support, and optimization
- Experience with various HIT vendor applications including athenaClinicals, Allscripts Enterprise EHR, Cerner, Eclipsys, and JMJ Technologies’ EncounterPro.
- Interest in and passion for developing and implementing clinical, operational, and administrative “added value” features of clinical software applications.
- Able to establish and maintain relationship with all levels of professionals.
- Passion for, interest in, and experience with clinical terminology products including SNOMED, MEDCIN, and LOINC and their use and application to medical informatics.
- Expert in all aspects of ambulatory EHR implementation.
- Specialize in strategic and structural contributions to clinical content and physician documentation strategies.
- Detail oriented with superior interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral.
- New business launch and development background.
- Works collaboratively or independently with outstanding results.
- Hands-on manager, with high energy level and creativity.
JAN 2005-CURRENT – SENIOR ADVISORY PHYSICIAN CONSULTANT – SEATTLE, WA (Project/Virtual/Remote/Travel position)
- Independent Senior Consultant
- Most recent engagements include: onsite support of Cerner physician adoption with Clinovations, physician adoption and optimization of athenaClinicals with Clinovations, utilization and optimization analysis of workflows and clinical documentation strategies at Colorado Springs Health Partners with CTG, onsite training/support/optimization engagement at JSA Healthcare in Orlando, FL with Elkins Consulting Group; onsite training/support/optimization and clinical documentation strategy development engagements at Ellis Medicine (Albany, NY), Capital Care Medical Group (Albany, NY), and Pronger Smith Medical Care (Chicago, IL) with ImplementHIT; team lead on Allscripts Enterprise EHR v.11 specialty content strategy development/implementation/adoption across a national multi-site and multi-specialty organization
AUG 2010-SEPT 2011 – NORTHWEST HOSPITAL AND MEDICAL CENTER, SENIOR ADVISORY PHYSICIAN CONSULTANT (Project/Virtual/Remote/Travel position), SEATTLE, WA –
- Member of the Ambulatory EMR team tasked with the analysis of current provider adoption issue in support of Allscripts Enterprise EHR version 11 project
- Focus on individual provider adoption issues and the creation of improved workflow strategies, clinical content development and individual provider optimization of the clinical documentation and clinical workflow strategies
JAN 2009-JULY 2010 – PHYSICIAN EMR CONSULTANT, MEDICAL INFORMATICS, CONTENT SPECIALIST (Project/Virtual/Travel); ST. VINCENT HEALTH, INDIANAPOLIS, IN
- Member of the Ambulatory EMR team tasked with the roll out and onsite go-live support of Allscripts Enterprise EHR version 10 and upgrade to version 11 for a large multi-specialty medical group at St. Vincent’s Health in Indianapolis.
- Focus on enterprise and individual provider adoption strategies, clinical content development and individual provider go-live support for the clinical documentation and clinical workflow strategies using v.10 and v.11 Note modules.
- Integral part of the development and implementation of the strategy for upgrade and go-live support for the roll out of multiple Allscripts version 11 EHR modules to the providers and staff medical group.
NOV 2007-FEB 2009 – PHYSICIAN EMR CONSULTANT, MEDICAL INFORMATICS, CONTENT SPECIALIST (Project/Virtual/Travel); COVENANT MEDICAL GROUP, LUBBOCK, TX
- Member of the Ambulatory EMR team tasked with the roll out of Allscripts Enterprise EHR solution to a 200 physician multi-specialty group.
- Focus on enterprise and individual provider clinical content development, physician documentation, and clinical workflow strategies using the Allscripts Note tools (version 10 and version 11)
- Integral part of the 3-D strategy with roll out of multiple Touchworks modules to the medical group.
JAN 2007-OCT 2007 PHYSICIAN EMR CONSULTANT, MEDICAL INFORMATICS, CONTENT SPECIALIST (Project/Virtual/Travel); ECLIPSYS CORPORATION, BOCA RATON, FL
- Improved physician documentation strategies and clinical content for the ambulatory care offering.
- Worked closely with the Eclipsys India team to build and configure the OB/Gyn, Cardiology, and Pediatric starter set physician documentation templates included in the Ambulatory Clinical Manager product.
- Assisted with KBC testing
- Involved in SNOMED clinical terminology coding implementation for existing and newly developed content.
- Contributed in identification of suitable content to be included in the templates; organized the content within the application; validated and tested the content and the template; and prepared the packages for general availability.
JULY 2006 – FEB 2007 – PHYSICIAN EMR CONSULTANT, MEDICAL INFORMATICS, CONTENT SPECIALIST (Project/Virtual/Travel); ALLSCRIPTS, INC., CHICAGO, IL
- Collaborated with clinical content development team to develop physician documentation for new version.
- Improved specialty specific HPI and Physical Exam templates to be used in the new released ambulatory Touchworks version 11 product.
- Decided on which specialty specific clinical content to be included; utilized MEDCIN coded terminology and application specific configuration tools to create the templates.
- Tested and guaranteed the templates using quality assurance strategies and techniques.
DEC 2005 – JULY 2006 – PHYSICIAN EMR CONSULTANT, MEDICAL INFORMATICS, CONTENT SPECIALIST (Project/Virtual/Travel); HEALTHRIGHT, INC., SALT LAKE CITY, UT
- Involved in a team responsible for development of a web-based personal health record.
- Concentrated on the clinical content development of a core person health record from which the lay user at home could develop their personal health record through a web based application.
- Utilized a SNOMED centric approach to plan a strategy and process to assist the user to find, choose and record their health information.
1995 – 2006 – DIRECTOR, OWNER AND PRINCIPAL; FIRST PHYSICIANS SERVICES, P.A., LUBBOCK, TX
- Provided administrative, clinical and contract services to different regional agencies including Sunrise Canyon Hospital, Medical Director for Substance Abuse Services at Lubbock Regional MHMR Center, and Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (Correctional Managed Care Division).
- Started, established, and grew a private pediatric practice into a well respected regional pediatric service center.
- Researched, planned, integrated, implemented, and utilized JMJ Technologies’ EncounterPro in one of the first truly paperless pediatric practices.
1993- 2003 – MEDICAL DIRECTOR; MANAGED CARE CENTER FOR ADDICTIVE AND OTHER DISORDERS
- Assisted with the clinical and administrative planning for a new service organization.
- Provided ongoing clinical, administrative, and quality improvement services to inpatient and outpatient substance abuse detox and treatment center.
1996 – 2003 – OWNER , MEDICAL DIRECTOR AND ADMINISTRATOR OF PRN TELEPHONE TRIAGE
- Founded, managed, and performed clinical responsibilities in the After Hours Nurse Telephone Triage Service.
- Developed clinical content triage system for documentation of medical complaint phone calls
- TEXAS MEDICAL BOARD, ADMINISTRATIVE MEDICINE, LICENSE # J7350 CURRENT
- OWNER AND PRINCIPAL, THE GROUNDSKEEPER, LUBBOCK, TX; 2004 – 2006
- STAFF PHYSICIAN, LA HACIENDA TREATMENT CENTER, HUNT, TX; 2004
- CONTRACT EMERGENCY ROOM PHYSICIAN, VARIOUS EMERGENCY ROOMS/CENTERS; 1995 – 2003
- PEDIATRICIAN, PEDIATRIC ASSOCIATES OF LUBBOCK; 1995 – 2002
- VICE PRESIDENT, WEST TEXAS DEVELOPMENTAL PEDIATRIC AND BEHAVIORAL HEALTH NETWORK; 1999 – 2001
- MEDICAL DIRECTOR, CHEERS SCHOOL BASED CLINIC; 1996 – 2001
- MEDICAL DIRECTOR, MENTAL MEDICINE ASSOCIATES; 1997 – 2000
- PEDIATRIC CLINIC PHYSICIAN, METHODIST WOMEN AND CHILDREN’S CLINIC, LUBBOCK, TX; 1995 – 1996
- PROFESSIONAL M.B.A. PROGRAM; TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY RAWLS COLLEGE OF BUSINESS, LUBBOCK, TX; 2005 – 2007; 30 HOURS TO COMPLETE DEGREE
- MEDICAL DOCTOR; UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS SOUTHWESTERN MEDICAL SCHOOL, DALLAS TX; 1987 – 1992
- B.S. IN BIOLOGY; ST. MARY’S UNIVERSITY, SAN ANTONIO, TX; 1985 – 1987
- MAJOR IN CHEMISTRY;UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON, HOUSTON, TX;1983 – 1985
- MAJOR IN BIOLOGY; SPRING HILL COLLEGE, MOBILE, AL; 1980 – 1982
POST DOCTORAL TRAINING
- FELLOW OF THE AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS; 1997
- BOARD CERTIFICATION, AMERICAN BOARD OF PEDIATRICS; 1997
- PEDIATRIC RESIDENT, TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY HEALTH SCIENCES CENTER, LUBBOCK, TX; 1994 – 1996
- INTERNAL MEDICINE RESIDENT, TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY HEALTH SCIENCES CENTER, LUBBOCK, TX; 1993 – 1994
- INTERNAL MEDICINE INTERNSHIP, TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY HEALTH SCIENCES CENTER, LUBBOCK, TX; 1992 – 1993
- PRESIDENT OF MEDICAL STAFF, SUNRISE CANYON HOSPITAL, LUBBOCK, TX, 2003 – 2004
- PEDIATRIC ADVISOR, UMC HOME HEALTH COMPANY; 1997-2002
- PEDIATRIC PROGRAMS DIRECTOR, WARM SPRINGS REHABILITATION CENTER, 1999 – 2000
- MEDICAL ADVISOR, SLATON INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT, 1999 – 2001
- MEDICAL ADVISOR, LUBBOCK-COOPER INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT, 1998 – 2001
- DISTRICT COORDINATOR, TEXAS MEDICINE ASSN. COMMITTEE ON PHYSICIAN HEALTH & REHABILITATION, 1996 – 1999
Mailman DR: To Respond Always. Ann Intern Med 1994; 120:688
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
font-family:”Times New Roman”,”serif”;}
Northwest Hospital and medical center § Seattle, WA
Senior Advisory Physician Consultant (Project/Virtual/Remote/Travel position)
Aug 2010-Sept 2011